Managing Effective & Efficient Meetings
Duration: 2 hours
Purpose and aim of course
This course allows learners to gain a better understanding of the role of the Chairperson in workplace meetings.
This unit is suitable for persons who:
- Have been recently promoted to a position where managing meeting is a key responsibility
- Wish to develop their skills and knowledge in chairing meetings
On completion of this course, learners will:
- Chair a meeting
- Facilitate debate and decision making
- Direct and encourage participation
- Time Manage
- Agree actions and Outcomes
- Agenda structure - Prioritising
- Dealing with distraction - Directing focus and minimising digression and negativity
- Preparing resources for the meeting - Handouts, literature, print-offs and presentations
- Manage contributions and debate - Understand differences between facilitation & direction
- Inclusivity of attendees - Encourage open positive contribution
- Allotment of time for subject matter, opening & closing statements, recognise when sufficiency is accomplished
- Agreeing action plans, minutes, assignment follow-ups and deadlines
- Reviewing outcomes
Learners will receive all necessary material for this course including copies of presentation slides and accompanying 14-page handout.
This course is a stand-alone course and does not require any previous knowledge. However, it would be desirable for learners to either be or have held positions in management.